By Business Reporter – Friday 24 January 2020
HARARE (Mining Index) – THE Zimbabwe Miners Federation (ZMF) says it is in full support of government’s decision to protect Jumbo Mine from unlawful mining activities by artisanal miners affirming the move is aimed at protecting property rights and reduce machete wars in the area.
Government, through the Zimbabwe Republic Police (ZRP) on Tuesday this week made a decision to seal off Jumbo Mine in Mazowe after thousands of illegal miners had invaded the mine.
“We embrace and welcome the move. The first question that comes to mind is who owns Jumbo? The answer to that is followed by Government’s mandate to do the needful and we embrace the move,” said ZMF president Henrietta Rushwaya.
In 2018, Metallon Gold put Jumbo Mine under care and maintenance, which left it prone to invasion by artisanal miners from all over the country.
Since then, the mine has been a haven for informal mining and criminal gangs, with lives being lost in bloody clashes between rival groups.
“We uphold the need to respect and protect property rights. It will reduce machete wars in the area, land degradation while creating peace and tranquillity,”
“Government’s decision proves that there is rule of law in the country and adherence of section 73 of the constitution in terms of Environmental Rights,” said Rushwaya.
Approximately 1 715 illegal miners have been arrested under the on-going operation “Chikorokoza Ngachipere/No to Machete Gangs launched last week.
ZRP warned that anyone found operating illegally in the area would be arrested adding that Jumbo Mine and its environs are now a no-go area with immediate effect.
Last week, supreme court chief justice Luke Malaba announced that government had established special courts in areas hardest hit by machete gangs to decisively deal with organised machete cliques that are terrorising miners and civilians. ENDS// www.miningindex.co.zw
Twitter @IndexMining Facebook @MiningIndexNews LinkedIn @MiningIndex